Stranger

“The pain started years ago, but I'd lived with it for so long at that point that I'd accepted it as an inevitable part of me.” 
Ashley D. Wallis

~

She couldn't understand it, that small and very simple statement: 

He's in love with someone else. 

I told her that people are free to fall in love with whomever they choose, that she needs to stop fighting so that he can find peace and happiness. She said she couldn't stop thinking about him and I told her that I totally understand what she's going through and that things always get better in time. Then she asked me why he would stop loving her. And I froze for a second because I had a flashback and then I answered her in the best way I knew.

"People change all the time. They develop new feelings for new people. The downside here is that he changed and you didn't. The upside is that you will too in the near future. And if you want to look at it from an ideal perspective, the old him still loves you, and one day, the same will apply to you, when this you becomes the old you. Then all the moments you can't get out of your head, all the nights you spent thinking about him, all the beautiful daydreams and whatever songs or movies remind you of him, they'll become distant memories that rarely ever visit you. But when they do, they'll draw a faint smile on your face accompanied by a tender blink and a downward gaze and when that happens, you'll see that the old you was very lucky to love and be loved by the old him."

I went on and on but she was not convinced. And I knew that all I said was in vain because a blinded heart simply wants what it wants and because I saw how the look of brokenness in her eyes remained unaffected. And still, I kept going. I kept going, on and on and on.

"You need to stop fighting for him because he probably belongs with someone else and that's something you have no right to take away. You need to stop fighting because if you don't, the pain will destroy you. You need to stop fighting because ten months isn't even a long time. You need to stop fighting because while you're here crying on my shoulder, he's kissing her and I swear and I promise that I'm sorry but this is the truth."

I probably shouldn't have mentioned the part about him kissing her because she started crying again. And the sight of her pain overwhelmed me with sadness so I looked away. I looked away and wondered if I actually cared about this young stranger who opened her heart to me even though she didn't even know my last name. 

Regardless, life goes on, and it stops for nobody. And eventually, it gets better. So, dear reader, if you have loved and lost, or suffered from unrequited love, I hope you know that everything. everything happens for a reason. I also implore you to remember that life is full of surprises, opportunities and distractions. And most importantly, you should know and believe that there is someone you are meant to love and that they are meant to love you back, that you can share a life and family with them, till death do you part. So instead of being sad, look forward to the moment you eyes will meet.

You might meet him very soon.

~

“When I found you, I had not found myself yet, but when I found myself, I had already lost you.” 
Elmar Hussein