Magic

“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.”
Roald Dahl

~

Words fail.

I wish I could go back in time to see you as a little child, playing in your room. I wish I could heal the pain in their eyes. I wish I were brave enough to join my body the moment it leaves our bed in the morning. I wish I had the will to go through with my plans. I wish I had enough strength to keep those sudden bursts of heartache from showing on my face. I wish I could erase these scars. I wish I could erase these scars. I wish I could forgive myself. And I wish I could pause time and run to you, hug you, then unpause.

Words fail. Wishes fail too.

Yet these rivers of smoke sail through the glowing darknesses of the dark. And your watery eyes blur the scene as they gaze into mine. So I stare at the silence of my heart and into your gently blinking stars. And I see you. I see you.

Can you see me too?

Wishes fail. And all the questions they leave behind, they fail as well.

But I am neither wind nor fire, neither truth nor dream. I am but a fictional fact in factual fiction; that sigh we share as our fingers interlace in their ever-flowing faith.  And you are here and there and in every rupture of my heart. You are love and truth and beauty and everything in between; that eternal heartbeat that keeps our hands warm.

So can you feel this? Can you feel us? Are you listening?

We are music. We're the music that answers every question, the embrace that brings dying wishes back to life. And even when words fail, love does not.

Our love never fails.

Because we are Magic, Love; magical children playing in your room.

~

"I realized I was thinking of you, and I began to wonder how long you'd been on my mind. Then it occurred to me: Since I met you, you've never left."
Unknown